(Article medically reviewed by Dr. Zac Hyde M.D)
6 OTC Supplements That Eliminate Man-Boobs, Naturally
You might think that staying slim, eating healthy, or spending all of your time underneath a bench press will make you immune to gynecomastia (otherwise known as man-boobs).
Unfortunately, the reasons why some men end up with pendulous pecs are more complicated than you think.
In this article, we’ll give you six gynecomastia pills you can use to keep breasts where they belong: on your partner.
What is Gynecomastia?
From a purely clinical standpoint, gynecomastia is a swelling of breast tissue that can occur in both boys and men.
It is typically caused by hormones that are thrown out of whack – specifically, elevated amounts of estrogen and prolactin and lowered amounts of testosterone.
There is also a less potent form, known as pseudo-gynecomastia, which is the result of fatty deposits taking root under the breasts.
This form of man-boobs is genetic and related to how your body stores fat.
However, there are cases where the two conditions can sometimes appear simultaneously due to elevated estrogen “resetting” the fat storage process.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of men who suffer from gynecomastia either refuse to seek help or attempt to treat it the wrong way.
For instance, in hormonal cases, the swollen man-boob tissue actually exists above the muscle.
So, if you think you’re going to get rid of it by leveling up your pectoral workout, you’re in for a sad surprise.
In fact, all you’re going to end up doing is pushing that swollen tissue further outward, making it more noticeable while potentially enlarging your nipples!
No, sir. If you want to deal with man-boobs, you have to deal with it at the source.
In 90% of cases, that source is elevated levels of estrogen and prolactin. Often, this is coupled with severely reduced testosterone and DHT.
Fortunately, there are specific gyno pills that target man-boobs, not just by increasing your androgen levels, but by working to actively lower that unwanted estrogen and prolactin floating around your body.
Below, we’ll discuss six of the very best anti-man-boob supplement options.
Gynecomastia Pills – Indole-3-Carbinol
One of the most potent man-boob battlers in existence is IC3 (also known as indole-3-carbinol).
A byproduct of the glucosinolate glucobrassicin compound, IC3 has been shown to reduce estrogen levels by helping the liver better metabolize it.
In sciencey terms, this is done via CYP1A2 enzyme upregulation.
However, IC3 also harnesses the CYPB1B enzyme to downregulate the more potent estrogens into a far less concentrated form, reducing their ability to combat your testosterone balance.
This two-pronged attack has proven effective both in studies performed on isolated cells and in actual research performed on humans.
For instance, one particular study demonstrated how just 6 mg/kg of IC3 taken once per week could drastically lower estrogen levels in both sexes, allowing the unwanted hormones to either pass out of the body through urination or be converted into less potent metabolites.
Regardless of the method, the estrogen is neutralized before it can do any harm.
The best part?
You can supplement your diet with plenty of IC3 simply by eating more cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and kale.
Mucuna Pruriens to Reduce Man-Boobs
Mucuna Pruriens is an herb common to Indian Ayurvedic Herbal Medicine.
Though the words “herbal medicine” may send warning signals up your spine, never fear – Mucuna Pruriens and its prolactin-zapping, testosterone-enhancing effects have been proven through rigorous study.
You see, MP is loaded with a dopamine precursor known as “L-dopa.”
Among its many benefits, L-dopa has been shown to increase testosterone levels in humans by improving the function of the hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal axis.
At the same time, it can start workign to decrease plasma prolactin levels just 30 minutes after administration.
Since prolactin is the hormone primarily associated with breast development and milk production, its neutralization is essential to men suffering from gynecomastia.
Though it’s possible to get Mucuna Pruriens or “Velvet Bean” in its raw form, it’s much more logical to simply purchase high-quality extracts.
The plant itself only grows in southern China and Eastern India, and it isn’t particularly known for its great taste.
See the mucuna I use myself here.
White Button Mushroom Extract to Reduce Gyno
You should by now be aware of the many hormonal dangers associated with the aromatase enzyme, which works by converting your free testosterone molecules into estrogen before your body has a chance to absorb them.
Though aromatase is always present to some degree, there are cases in which it can become elevated.
Some of the factors that can increase the density of aromatase in men are obesity, insulin resistance, and overindulgence in alcohol – all of which are associated with man-boobs!
However, there are certain supplements known as aromatase inhibitors that block this testosterone conversion process from taking place.
By protecting your free testosterone levels, they can stop the development of gynecomastia right in its tracks.
One of the most potent sources of aromatase inhibitors?
White button mushrooms. Indeed, throughout several studies, extracts prepared from these little fungi have been shown to drastically lower estrogen and aromatase activity.
In fact, it’s so effective that it’s currently being used to prevent breast cancer development in at-risk women.
Gynecomastia Pills – Choline
Choline is a nutrient that is chemically similar to B vitamins. It can be produced naturally in the liver, but it is also found in foods ranging from fish to nuts to beans to eggs.
Once present in the body, choline acts as a methylator, meaning that it contributes methyl rings to estrogen molecules, ultimately rendering them inactive.
This makes the nutrient a vital asset to any man looking to battle man-boobs.
However, you can’t just grab a cheap choline supplement off the shelf at Walmart and fix yourself right up.
You see, many choline supplements on the market aren’t potent enough to have a significant effect on estrogen levels.
Instead, you need to be taking a high-quality form of choline bitartrate. 1-3 grams of this powder taken once per day should do the trick.
However, it’s water-soluble, so you don’t have to worry about overdosing and taking too much.
Vitamin E to Shrink Man-Boobs
Few vitamins live up to their name quite like Vitamin E.
One of the most powerful antioxidants around, Vitamin E is great for reducing thyroid problems resulting from excess consumption of polyunsaturated fatty acids.
In case you didn’t know, these PUFAs have a tendency to oxidize in a way that damages the thyroid and ultimately leads to estrogen dominance in the body.
Fortunately, Vitamin E can reduce this oxidation while simultaneously working to remove the PUFA molecules stored in your fat tissue.
In fact, it actually hinders the function of estrogen receptors so that your T has a fighting chance to regain dominance and kick those man-boobs right out of town.
If that wasn’t impressive enough, Vitamin E is super easy to come by.
From almonds to palm oil, pumpkin and avocado, there are a million delicious ways to make sure you’re getting the PUFA-fighting nutrients you need.
Vitamin B6 to Reduce Gynaecomastia
The drug Isoniazid is known to cause gynecomastia in male subjects because its main side effect is vitamin B6 deficiency.
Affected men who stop using the drug and begin taking B6 supplements reverse the gyno quickly.
So the link between B6 deficiency and man-boobs has been clearly established.
Most men get plenty of dietary B6, but if you’re on a restricted diet you may want to supplement with B6.
If you’re taking a multi vitamin or if you eat fortified cereal or other fortified foods, you’re likely already covered.
If not, you can find B6 or B complex supplements on amazon for less than 10 bucks.
Gynecomastia Pills Conclusion
Before we go, I really want to hammer home this idea that there are two specific types of man-boobs.
For instance, if you suspect that you might only have a fat deposit issue, you may be able to get rid of the problem simply by losing weight.
Unfortunately, you can’t target weight loss, so you’ll need to merge an aerobic exercise routine with one focused on resistance training to lose unwanted fat from everywhere on your body.
When it comes to hormonal gynecomastia, you can’t work the problem off. In fact, you might only make your man-boobs more pronounced if you try.
Especially if you’re messing around with supplements that actually increase prolactin levels.
While exercise is helpful to reduce any fat deposits that might be present, your man-boobs simply won’t go away until you address the underlying hormones that are causing the problem: prolactin and estrogen.
Update: Gynecomastia Pills Part 2:
In this update we’re going to talk less about the gynecomastia pills more about identifying the different types of gyno.
Let’s get started…
If you think back to middle school gym class, you probably remember at least one kid who was relentlessly teased about his flabby chest.
Chances are, he was just a little overweight or out of shape, resulting in a bit of extra fat where his pecs should be.
“Man-boobs,” on the other hand, are a real problem affecting men of all ages.
In this article, we’ll discuss how to tell the difference between the two conditions and what you can do about both.
The Word of the Day is “Gynecomastia”
The technical term for “man-boobs” is gynecomastia, and there’s no denying that it ain’t a pretty term (or a pretty sight).
It is essentially a swelling of the breast tissue in men, resulting in a more feminine-looking pectoral region than you’d get simply from being overweight.
Because this is typically caused by hormones, not just fat accumulation (though the two can sometimes be related).
Specifically, gynecomastia occurs when your body decides to overproduce prolactin and estrogen.
If you’re a regular reader here, you know that estrogen and testosterone have a “see-saw” relationship with one another.
So, when one goes up, the other goes down.
So, any elevation in your estrogen levels can send your T levels plummeting, and man-boobs are just one of the potential side effects.
What Do Man-Boobs Mean For You?
If you’ve put on a few pounds and have ended up covering your pecs with a layer of fat, you can hit the gym, run a few miles, and solve that issue in no time.
If your man-boobs are the result of gynecomastia, then what’s happening in your chesticles is a growth of both soft tissue and much-harder glandular tissue.
As we stated above, this is caused by hormonal problems. That means it needs to be solved with hormonal solutions.
But before we get into that, let’s spend some time talking about how you can tell the difference between floppy pecs and real-deal gynecomastia.
After all, I don’t want you to apply the wrong solutions to the wrong problems.
That’s only going to end up wasting your time, and may cause you to feel incredibly frustrated by your lack of results.
Identifying Pseudogynecomastia (False Man-Boobs)
The first thing you need to realize is that the vast majority of men who end up suffering from a flabby chest do not have gynecomastia. Instead, they have “faux” or “pseudogynecomastia.”
This is the technical term for breast growth caused by fat accumulation, and is not related to your hormones.
It’s important to note that the two can look almost exactly alike (hence the name), but is almost always confined to overweight men, whereas real gynecomastia can affect men of all weights and shapes.
That said, one of the groups that are disproportionally affected by pseudogynecomastia happens to be bodybuilders.
This is due to their “bulking phases,” where they are often overeating (sometimes not healthily).
As a result of this Medieval feasting, some guys will end up seeing fat accumulation on their pecs, as the muscles are too dense for it to appear underneath.
While the results can look disconcerting, they are generally only temporary.
Just remember: it’s likely only pseudogynecomastia if:
- • Your fat percentage is above 20%
- • There are no “hard lumps” in the breast tissue
- • You don’t experience any tenderness or swelling around your nipples
- • There is no “cup” shaped (female look) to the fat accumulation
Symptoms of Real Gynecomastia
Identifying real man-boobs starts by understanding how they develop and progress.
For instance, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons currently lists four different levels or “grades” of the condition, each with its own presenting symptoms.
- Level 1 (mild gynecomastia) – If you are in this stage, you might begin to feel some sensitivity near your nipples. Eventually, you might notice small lumps or bumps developing underneath them.
- Level 2 (mild to moderate gynecomastia) – In this stage, you will note the growth of breast tissue that will often exceed the edge of the pectoral area. It will also start to spread wider than just around your nipples and take on a conical appearance.
- Level 3 (moderate to severe gynecomastia) – At this point, the breast tissue continues to become more pronounced. The hardened lumps will get bigger, and the weight will cause your breasts to sag and droop, taking on a more feminine appearance. Your nipples may also begin to point downward.
- Level 4 (severe to fully-feminized gynecomastia) – This is the point where the man-boobs stop being so “manish” and begin to almost perfectly resemble female breasts. The glandular tissue will appear very droopy, but still feel relatively hard to the touch.
Even with the best self-examination, you might not be able to tell if your man-boobs are the result of pseudogynecomastia or real gynecomastia.
At this point, you might want to consider whether or not you have any of the risk factors associated with the disorder. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Hormones – We’ve already mentioned several times that higher estrogen and prolactin are usually behind gynecomastia, where obesity is the prime cause of PG. So if you’ve been diagnosed with low testosterone or have any of the symptoms associated with low T, you might be dealing with the real thing.
- Some Medications – Those pesky pharmaceuticals are usually more trouble than they’re worth, especially steroids, antidepressants, and those used to treat ulcers and heart problems. These drugs can cause a surge in your estrogen, leading to an overall decline in pec-protecting testosterone.
- Alcohol Use and Liver Problems – We all know that alcohol is rough on your liver, but the price of problem drinking might not be limited to mere internal damage. Studies show that men who suffer from advanced liver damage are also much more likely to develop gynecomastia than their peers.
- Drug use – Don’t assume that merely not drinking is enough to get you off the hook from gynecomastia. Drugs ranging from cannabis to heroin have been linked to the development of this condition as well.
- Thyroid Problems – Again, it comes down to hormones. Your thyroid generally only deals with hormones that regulate metabolism. However, it’s been shown that an unhealthy thyroid can also lead to gynecomastia in some cases. So if you’ve been diagnosed with thyroid issues in the past, your man-boobs might be the real deal.
3 Recommended Gynecomastia Supplements
If you’re starting to suspect that your budding breasts are indeed the result of gynecomastia, you need to realize that you have options.
Specifically, there are ways in which you can lower your estrogen and prolactin levels while simultaneously raising your testosterone.
Of course, this site offers a plethora of articles on how to do the latter, and any one of these can help you begin the reversal process (insert tons of links).
However, when it comes to attacking the problem from the estrogen side, there are a few primary supplements to consider.
We discussed these earlier, but the three gynecomastia pills are the ones we’d recommend you start with first.
- Indole-3-Carbinol – Also known as IC3, this potent glucosinolate reduces estrogen levels by helping the liver better metabolize and extract it. At the same time, it binds to enzymes that help turn the most powerful estrogens into a weaker version that your testosterone can easily overpower. As an added bonus, its particularly easy to come by in cruciferous veggies like cauliflower, brussels sprouts, and kale.
- Mucuna Pruriens – If you’re yet to hear about this Ayurvedic herb, you own it to yourself to take a closer look (link). That’s because mucuna pruriens can drastically reduce both the amount and efficacy of prolactin in the body, stopping the development of gynecomastia in its tracks.
- White Button Mushroom Extract – Your aromatase enzyme the main culprit responsible for turning your free testosterone into estrogen. While you can’t get rid of it, you can reduce its efficacy by losing weight and cutting out the booze. You can also take white button mushroom extract (or opt for the real thing). That’s because it’s been shown to both reduce aromatase activity and cut down your estrogen levels.
Gynecomastia Pills Conclusion:
If you’ve noticed that your flabby pecs are “B” coming a real problem, remember that you might just be overweight.
If that’s the case, start up a diet, hit the gym, and stop all those unhealthy obesity contributors.
However, if you’re noticing any of the signs of gynecomastia listed above, it’s time to get “proactive” on that prolactin.
That means addressing your hormonal issues (and their causes) before they “balloon” into two big problems.